Friday, December 11, 2009

Day 41: It's done: the turn around




The “turn around,” As in: Judge your neighbor; Write it down; Ask four questions; “Turn it Around”

Take any two shoulds or shouldn’t that you have worked on in “doing the work” on someone.

Experiment with the “turn around.” In this you put the onus of change and learning and correction on yourself.

Like this:

“So and so should be nicer to me.

Turn around one:

“I should/ could be nicer to so and so.”

Or, “So and so should accept me just as I am.”

Turns to: “I should accept so and so just as they are (including when they are being the one who doesn’t accept me.)”

Or, “So and so shouldn’t be angry at me.”
Turns around to: “I shouldn’t be angry at so and so (again, including being angry at them when they are angry at me).”


That’s one form of “Turn around,” reversing the air of who has to/ gets to change.

The other form is to go completely inside, like this:

“So and so should be kinder to me.”
Turns inwardly to “I should be kinder to me.”


And: “So and so should accept me just as I am.”
Turns to: “I should accept me just as I am.”


“That person shouldn’t be so angry with me.”
Going back to ourselves: “I shouldn’t be so angry with me.”

So today, look for judgments. Do the four questions if you have time, and either way: do the two forms of turn around.

A bunch of times. Great healing for our sense of humility.



Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home